Back to Blog Posts


If your home is currently in a state of disrepair, you may be asked by your landlord to leave the property, either temporarily or permanently depending on the circumstances. If you are asked to leave for repair work to be carried out you do not have to leave, but your landlord may apply to the court for you to leave if he feels it is necessary to carry out work without you present. If you do find yourself having to leave, then it is important to speak to your landlord about the details including the length of time you are expected to be away from the property, what happens if you need access to the property, as well as your rights to return and whether or not he can help with alternative arrangements while you are away. Unfortunately if you refuse to leave, your landlord could ask you to leave by giving notice, leaving you no choice but to find accommodation elsewhere, particularly if you only have an assured short hold tenancy agreement.

Depending on the type of tenancy agreement you have and also how long you have lived at the property, you may be able to request help towards finding temporary accommodation or compensation for the disruption. It is better to speak to your landlord but get professional advice if you are unsure about anything or he is unwilling to help. If you feel your home is in a bad state of repair and you choose to leave due to your landlord not helping with repairs you will still need to give notice to end your tenancy, in order to avoid being liable for additional rent or potentially losing your deposit. If you choose to leave before any issues are resolved, you can still take your landlord to court for costs incurred or compensation. In many cases, the landlord may not be able to afford repairs, and opt to get a quick house sale to avoid repossession. You will need to discuss your options as you may be able to transfer your tenancy to a new owner otherwise you will be given notice to leave.

If you become increasingly concerned about the state of your property, you can speak to your local council who can look to inspect the property and help mediate the problem. However if you feel forced to leave due to the danger caused by problems within the property, then you can apply to the council to be rehomed based on your current circumstances otherwise you will need to find alternative rental accommodation elsewhere.

Whether you feel forced to leave because the landlord is refusing to do repairs, or he has given you notice, you should be able to make a claim with your local court in order to recoup costs or request compensation. You will need to provide evidence of the problems within the property as well as letters you have written to your landlord outlining the problem and anything else that may help your case.

National Property Trade is rated 4.90 stars by based on 231 merchant reviews

4.90 / 5 Rating
231 Reviews
We received an excellent service using the Assisted Sale product and we would highly recommend anyone seeking a quick house sale to consider this option.
We sold our bungalow using National Property Trade and had the pleasure of dealing with Samson. Very straight forward and without hassle which is exactly what we were looking for. Being sceptical of most property buying companies online, National Property Trade happily answered any questions put to them and were very open and honest from the start. You have broughr bright light to our lives in difficult circumstances and without you guys we would be lost with you. Many many thanks.
Excellent service received and we would like to say a big thank you to Samson for all his hard work and professionalism.